What is CO poisoning?
Gas appliances within the home that have been poorly fitted or are faulty can produce a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause serious long term health problems such as brain damage and can even result in death.
CO is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). This can happen when a gas appliance has been incorrectly installed, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.
The six main symptoms to look out for:
- Loss of consciousness
Being aware of the symptoms could save your life
CO symptoms are similar to those of food poisoning, viral infections, fatigue and flu. That’s why it is quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is often thought of as the silent killer:
- You can’t see it
- You can’t smell it
- You can’t taste it
- But it can kill you
What to do if you suspect CO poisoning
- Turn off gas appliances and get fresh air immediately, open all doors and windows
- Seek medical attention immediately from your doctor or hospital – inform them that you suspect CO poisoning
- If you think there is an immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999, for oil appliances call Oftec on 0845 658 5080 and for solid fuel appliances call HETAS on 0845 634 5626
- Ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem
If you would like to purchase any of the carbon monoxide alarms above, we offer a FREE 5 working day standard delivery and if you live in the Chester or Ellesmere Port areas then we will personally deliver them to your door with same or next day delivery. Call us today on 01244 345024 or 07928 333391.